Dutch oven refers to a
thick vessel made of cast iron and has a lid.
Can Dutch oven be made from other metals?
Yes, cast aluminium, or ceramic are also used. Some metal varieties are enameled rather than being seasoned.
Which are the other names or types of dutch oven?
- Casserole dish ( English UK)
- Casserole (French) – Literally means ‘pot’ & used for pot roasting.
- Cocotte (French)
- Braadpan (Netherlands)
- Potjiekos ( South Africa )
- Bedourie oven (Australia )
- Cazuela (Spain)
- A camping, cowboy, or chuckwagon Dutch oven usually has three integral legs.
- Chugunok (Eastern Europe and Central Asia)
- Dutch ovens are well suited for long, slow cooking, such as in making roasts, stews, and casseroles.
- Virtually any recipe that can be cooked in a conventional oven can be cooked in a Dutch oven.
- When cooking over a campfire, it is possible to use old-style lipped cast-iron Dutch ovens as true baking ovens, to prepare biscuits, cakes, breads, pizzas, and even pies.
- A smaller baking pan can be placed inside the ovens, used and replaced with another as the first batch is completed.
- It is also possible to stack Dutch ovens on top of each other, conserving the heat that would normally rise from the hot coals on the top. These stacks can be as high as five or six pots.
Dutch oven from wikipedia